Apparently there is another infectious round of chain-letter awards circulating on the blogosphere. Ted over at SightsandBytes http://sightsnbytes.wordpress.com/
afflicted me with….graciously passed on to me, the One Lovely Blog Award. I often see these awards being given to relatively new bloggers. I got my first when I had produced only fourteen posts. I’m up to fifty now – a seasoned old hand. I can only hope that they are given to newbies who show a scintilla of talent, as an incentive to keep them writing and improving. That’s my story, and I’m stickin’ to it. I humbly thank Ted for prodding the arthritic old bear to bang on the keyboard more creatively.
Having completed the onerous job of displaying basic good manners, my next task is to list seven pieces of information about myself, to instill a little interest, and prevent injuries when readers doze off and slump onto the keyboard.
- I rode 7 motorcycles over 20 years, totalling two of them with little more than bruises. The last one, I fell over sideways at 3 MPH. The bike could easily have been repaired, but I got a bionic shoulder and a busted wallet.
- We have four beautiful Bengal cats, and a dumb wheaten/schnauzer/poodle dog. The dog is at the bottom of the pecking order. There are so many cat toys strewn over the floors that it looks like we’re babysitting a bunch of three-year olds.
- After years of rotating shifts, now that I’m retired, I sleep at 4AM and rise at noon. I hate morning TV but can find late-night movies or go blogging.
- I used to be outdoorsy when I was younger, but allergies seem to be getting worse. We installed central air conditioning and a high-efficiency furnace with an electronic precipitator filter and stay inside as much as possible.
- If you read my blog about scratch-cooking, you know that I’m at least a bit of a cook. Like Ted, I’m not much of a recipe follower. It’s hard to screw up chilli. If the dish requires precision, like a cake where one extra drop of milk makes a difference, I let the wife show off her talents.
- I prefer to deal with problems broad-spectrum. I get as much information as I can and make and change decisions as the situation demands, rather than be saddled with an inflexible manual.
- I hate making out lists, especially about myself, so I’m glad that this is the last item.
I haven’t set up a blogroll yet, although I now read quite a number of interesting, entertaining and informative blogs. I also feel that these blog awards can get out of hand and try to stop them before Marvin the Martian says, “Where’s the Ka-boom? There should have been an Earth-shattering Ka-boom!” If I’ve commented on your site, be assured that I feel that you are interesting enough to deserve this award as much or more than I do. If you’d like one, feel free to belly up to the all-you-can-write blog buffet and drop one on your Chinet plate, to display on your very own site.
This blogging thing just keeps getting better and better. Thank-you to all the kind, friendly, inspiring bloggers who have shared their lives and experiences, and shown me the way. I will continue to try to earn your respect, and pass it on to those who come behind us.