to Benzeknees for sharing these four blog awards with me, and 10Q to the rest of you who have stopped around to read my silly posts. Hands up, those of you who figured out where I was going with the strange titles.
This is the last acceptance speech, for the final (for now) award. Keep those hands up! Stop all that clapping! This is the “I’ve Been Tagged Award.” Benze tagged me, fair and square. I hope this is for a writing award. I’m too weak/tired/out-of-shape to be wrestling.
What book are you reading right now?
The old man with no attention span is reading three books at the moment, Wretched Earth by James Axler(?), Fire Ice by Clive Cussler, and Sinai Secret by Gregg Loomis. I read a chapter of one, and then go blog, a chapter of the second and feed the cats and dog, and a chapter of the third, and help with supper. Repeat, ad infinitum!
What mini-vacation (0-100 miles from your home) have you particularly enjoyed within the last year?
I took the wife and grandson to Detroit for a weekend last October, and the son to Detroit again just a couple of weeks ago. The excuse was knife shows, but there was lots of other stuff to do and see. I just finished posting about the most recent trip.
What is your favorite form of entertainment?
Old Mister No-attention-span flits from one diversion to another. Reading and writing blogs has cut down on my book-reading a bit, but I still seem to average a book a week. We watch 2/3 hours of TV on weeknights, Bones, Castle, Hawaii Five-O, NCIS, NCIS-LA, Body of Proof, Criminal Minds, CSI, Elementary, Poirot, Lewis, Dr. Who, Midsomer Murders, which is about to end its season and be replaced by Miss Marple.
Of what accomplishments are you the most proud?
My various deficiencies have prevented doing much that I am “Proud” of. Getting through over fifty years of working with (barely) enough to retire on. Almost 50 years of marriage to one woman. Raised two intelligent and well-mannered kids, and am helping with a similar grandson. I regard my blog-writing as prosaic, but receive the occasional accolade from some readers who should know. That pleases me! The wife insists that I tell you that I taught her how to tat (make lace). It involved an eight-foot, heavy, black plastic telephone cord, and I had no idea what I was doing.
Who has been most influential in your life in the past year?
No one person, although I’d like to mention my first two followers, BrainRants and H E Ellis. They, along with many other bloggers have greatly improved my quality of mental life.
If you were raising money for a favorite charity, where would you direct our checks?
On a small scale, I’d recommend the Archon Family Improvement Foundation. Both the semi-handicapped wife and daughter could use some assistance with mobility, medical procedures, housing, transportation, in-home support. A few thousand directed toward that might allow me to pay off my still-mortgaged house. On the big scale, money could be directed to medical research, including stem-cells. Our love of animals would ensure payments to Humane Society and SPCA.
If you weren’t doing the work or career you are in, what would you like to be doing?
I’ve worked long and hard to become retired, and I want to continue in that, hopefully healthy, mobile and reasonably pain-free.
If you could have named yourself, what would your name be and why?
Unlike many others, I am happy with my complete name. It’s a good, solid, unpretentious, 1940s’ name. I was to be “George John Smith” but the first-name-last, last-name-first form confused my mother, and I accidentally became “John George Smith.” Still works! In effect I have renamed myself by adopting the blogging cognomen of Archon.
What would you most like to tell your children, or important young person in your life but haven’t?
Something I haven’t told someone?? Not likely to happen! You can’t get me to shut up. I’m just full of unsolicited advice and opinions. My youngest child is 42. My grandson is 21. The only thing I tell young people these days is, “Get off my damned lawn!”
How do you change your mood when you are grumpy?
Change my grumpy mood?? Whatever for? I’m a carrier, like Typhoid Mary. I spread it around. I revel in it. Everybody gets to share. When someone or something bugs the shit out of me, that’s when I do my best thinking. Then, out comes the blog, and another pissed-off post gets published.
What particular skill could you teach us on your blog?
My resources and abilities are severely limited. I could let you talk to my highly creative and productive wife and daughter if you’d like. I could demonstrate logical thought, concern for others, respect, even good English usage/composition ability, but, if you don’t already know these things by the time you read my blog, it is unlikely that I can teach, those who will not learn.
I would like to throw out another big Thank-You, especially to Benze, for honoring me with all these awards and giving me the chance to open my heart and mind. I would also like to thank all who came here to read, and comment, and like, and support me, by putting up with my silliness. The grumpy old dude will return soon.
Many of those shows are on in our house as well. Great line, blog writing is like Prozac. Good luck with the Archon Family Improvement Foundation.
I’ll dream a little dream that includes the son’s Lotto ticket. 😦
1. Book. Just finished Steven King’s “Joyland”. I’d give it a solid B grade – he still has his old magic, but my tastes have morphed a little beyond his style. This one is more a crime novel, and a coming of age story than supernatural. The one before that, I re-read a book I first read in high school, Jules Verne’s “Mysterious Island”. I found it to be a great experience, viewing it through the filter of 5 additional decades.
2. Vacation. Cruise. We love experiencing nature – while sipping wine from 9 stories up!
3. Entertainment. Just started watching season 1 of the HBO series, “Breaking Bad”, on disk. Riveting. Outstanding. (We like Criminal Minds too, but the season’s over now. 😦 ) And then there’s blogging.
4. Accomplishments. Staying alive, both of us.
5. Influential. My fellow bloggers and the fourth estate.
6. Charity. Not a fan of large charities, I prefer to tip generously to wait staff, grocery baggers and the like who strike us as hard-working and needful.
7. Name. I wouldn’t change mine either. (Seems like an odd question, doesn’t it?)
8. Tell something? I have a continuing goal to interest my grandchildren (ages 11 and 9) in lines of work and their futures, but their world is so full of distractions. Mere words don’t do it, so far. Finesse and patience seem to be the way.
9. Change mood? Funny, but I never think of it as something I can or ought to manipulate. The older I get, and I am old, the more I just appreciate living, and I do find myself reflecting on past crises, health-wise and otherwise, and when I do, I feel gratitude welling up that we are still kicking.
10. Skill? I’ve been blogging for 3 years and have no evidence that I’ve changed anybody’s mind about anything. Why do I do it? I guess it’s kind of like people-watching, but less depressing than at Walmart.
You sound more busy being un-busy than I am. The name question really isn’t too strange. From entertainers, to bloggers, to just plain folk, a lot of people want to change or improve the label that parents saddled them with. I’m happy with mine, as are you, but Shania Twain was born Eileen Edwards. 😕
“Shania Twain was born Eileen Edwards. ”
Excellent example, Archon.
P.S. – An addition to #5, entertainment. For months now I’ve been listening to pod-casts at the gym on my iPod – Story of the Day, It’s All Politics, Planet Money, and Stuff You Should Know. It is so good it makes the exercise flow past almost unnoticed!
I should improve. The limit of my exercise is a good brisk sit. 😀
Okay, okay…I was going to say ‘nice post’ but I stopped myself just in the nick of time. Interesting answers, Grumplestiltskin… 🙂 What? I like it…
And she scores on a slap-shot from outside the blue line! Nice wrist action on that Grumplestiltskin. And I like it too. I’ll take a “nice post” any time you want to pull one out of a rabbit….or was that a hat? 😉
What the hell is wrong with being grumpy, dammit?
Not a damned thing. It’s the default setting. It’s default of the morons we encounter every day. (Can’t say retards! Sparklebumps got shat on.) When suck-starting an M9, it is permissible to request a prior test by an administrivial hemorrhoid.
We have the same taste in TV shows. UR welcome John/George/Archon! Great answers.
That’s, “The same great taste in TV shows.” I’m happy that UR happy. You missed Ringo. 😆
Since I never much liked Ringo in the first place, I doubt I will miss him.
Congrats on another well deserved award, Archon! Shall I take you to dinner and dancing at Taco Bell? (my treat)
OOH, a seven layer burrito….and, dancing with WhiteLady! My whole week is made. 😀